The operating of the fleet by a logging company has become increasingly complex. The factors the logger faces are many. While some are beyond the control of management others are part of what it takes to operate a fleet.
Some of the factors beyond the control of the logger are
- More cars on the road
- Lower gas prices encourage more miles driven
- An improved economy means more drivers going to and from work
- The conditions of roads
- The rise in litigation
But some factors are within the control of the logger
- Knowing the route trucks are to run
- Setting a guideline that informs employees how fast a truck is to be driven
- Having an employee handbook
- Installing GPS systems in power units
- Installing dash cams in all units
When focus is on the factors under control good thinks happen. The investment is GPS and Dash Cams reduces the cost of running a fleet by 30%. Pretty straight forward you will burn less fuel and lower maintenance costs.
- Less fuel is burned when drivers don’t speed
- Less fuel is burned when drivers remain on the right route to the mill
- Less maintenance work is required when harsh driving decrease
So how does the owner of a logging company become a fleet manager in addition to all of the other duties they face? How does someone who became a logger because they love being in the woods now become a fleet manager? How does an owner with no full-time office staff manage the actual behavior of the Companies drivers?
These may seem to be difficult questions but the “how toos” are readily available. Companies like Alirics are focused as solutions providers. The company works through the insurance agents that provide coverage for auto liability. Others can fill this role as well and in some cases like Alirics beable to follow the flow of your trucks during the day and provide daily updates on how the drivers are following the owner’s directions. As always, the value is in the follow through. Loggers who own fleets are the only leaders that count in their company. Taking control of what you control reduces costs and improves profit, these are not bad places to start to learn some new skills and to make an investment.